Today is the August 4, and it’s the International Beer Day! So, the ideal time to test your beer knowledge and skills. Try to answer the following questions! You can find all the answers at the bottom of the page.
1) When and where was beer invented?
A) 7th millennium BC, Mesopotamia
B) 19th Century (Industrial Revolution), Great Britain
C) 20th century (World War I), Austro-Hungarian Empire
D) 20th century (with the rise of Communism), Czechoslovakia
2) What gives the beer that characteristic bitter taste?
3) How much percent of alcohol had the strongest beer in history?
4) What was the average beer consumption in 2015? (per person)
A) 52 liters
B) 147 liters
C) 300 liters
D) 1200 liters
5) How much hops have been harvested last year?
A) 720 tonnes
B) 7,712 tonnes
C) 17,712 tonnes
D) 172,000 tonnes
6) What is the oldest Czech documented brewery?
A) Pilsner Urquell
C) Royal Brewery Krušovice
D) Břevnov Monastery Brewery
7) What does it mean “lager”?
A) a fermentation process lasting at least one month
B) it concerns the designation of exclusively light beer
C) has a high percentage of alcohol
D) the hops settle down before the beer is fermented
8) Which country consumes the most beer per year?
A) The Czech Republic
Answers: 1a, 2a, 3d, 4b, 5b, 6d, 7a, 8a.